Back to top


Click here to go back

Tax Return Extension Requests

Posted by Admin Posted on Apr 07 2017


Tax Return Extension Requestsnow that its April and the individual tax filing deadline of 4/18/17 is right around the corner it may be time for you to consider an extension request, to allow you some additional time to file your tax return. The request for additional time is made with a Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time, which must be completed and remitted to the IRS by the initial filing deadline of 4/18/17. The process is fairly straightforward, and will allow you up to 6 months of additional time to file your individual tax return. The most important step in preparing an extension request is to determine whether you’ll owe taxes when your return is filed later in the year.  If you are projecting that you will owe taxes when you eventually file, you can make an extension payment, either by check, which should be mailed along with your extension request or by direct debit from your bank account. Not only will the extension request provide you with additional time to complete and remit your tax return, it will allow you peace of mind, so you aren’t later subjected to a late filing & payment penalties. Please contact our office if you have any questions, or if we can assist you in making an extension request.  Mike and Staff